It’s here! EYE14 kicks off
Almost 1000 youth along with more than 200 adults are gathering for the popular Episcopal Youth Event 2014 (EYE14), July 9-13 at Villanova University in suburban Philadelphia, PA.
Youth in grades 9-12 during the 2013-2014 academic year and their adult leaders will hail from 84 dioceses, including international friends from the Episcopal Diocese of the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Taiwan.
Bronwyn Clark Skov, Episcopal Church Youth Ministries Officer, noted: “EYE14 is an amazing opportunity for youth to experience The Episcopal Church on a vastly different scale than that of their local faith communities. They will be immersed in music, scripture, worship, and fellowship as they discern their own call to engage in the Five Marks of Mission.”
EYE14 is presented in partnership with the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania.
In addition to the camaraderie, opportunities abound for learning, prayer and mission work.
- The opening Eucharist on July 10 will be live webcast along with two plenary sessions; Friday evening prayer; and the July 12 closing Eucharist.
- Music at EYE14 is being led by Live Hymnal with appearances by HighLite Vibes and the St. Thomas Gospel Choir of Philadelphia
For information contact Skov.
The 2014 event marks the twelfth EYE and remains a popular and well-attended event.
Follow the action
- Twitter Hashtag is #EYE14
(all Eastern times):
- Opening Eucharist - Thursday, July 10 at 9:30 am; the Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers, Canon for Missional Vitality, Diocese of Long Island preaching and President of the House Of Deputies the Rev. Gay Clark Jennings presiding
- Plenary - Thursday, July 10 at 7:30 pm; the EYE14 Mission Planning Team
- Evening Prayer - Friday, July 11 at 8:30 pm (approximate); Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori preaching and officiating
- Morning Plenary - Saturday, July 12 at 9:30 am; the Rev. Becca Stevens, founder of Magdalene and Thistle Farms
- Closing Eucharist - Saturday, July 12 at 8 pm; Bishop Michael Curry of the Diocese of North Carolina preaching and Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori presiding.
- App. Links:
The Collect for EYE14
Ever loving God, you have brought us together and empowered us to serve as your disciples. We ask you to guide and bless us as we strive to tell the Good News of your love; teach and nurture all believers; tend to the human condition; transform and reconcile the world as Christ has shown us; and treasure your creation and our salvation through Jesus Christ. May we be engulfed in your love and blessings as we live out the mission and work you have given us, through Jesus Christ, who lives with you and the Holy Spirit for ever and ever. Amen.
Before EYE14: New Community youth event
Prior to the inauguration of EYE14, there will be a New Community event July 7-9.
The purposes for the New Community event at the EYE14 is to gather youth from the various ethnic constituencies for conversations around the social issues of the day; to build capacities for their personal interaction; and to become agents of transformation to participate in forming the model of the beauty of the church and in reconciling the world to God and one another in Christ.
Following the conference, New Community Youth participants will join their diocesan delegations for EYE14.
- New Community info here
- Follow New Community Youth at #EYE14 or #NewCommunity.
- The New Community youth event is sponsored by The Diversity and Ethnic Ministries Team of The Episcopal Church. For more information, contact the Rev. Angela Ifill.
After EYE14: 3 Days of Urban Mission
Following EYE14, on July 13 – 16, more than 350 will participate in 3 Days of Urban Mission, an opportunity for many to engage mission in an urban environment. Activities include hands-on labor, which might include everything from painting and hauling debris to childcare and preparing meals. Info here
Planning team members are:
- Thomas Alexander, Diocese of Arkansas, Province 7
- Madeline Carroll, Diocese of Milwaukee, Province 5
- Whitney Chapman, Diocese of West Virginia, Province 3
- Ariana Gonzalez-Bonillas, Diocese of Arizona, Province 8
- Lillian Hardaway, Diocese of Upper South Carolina, Province 4
- Angela Hudnell, Diocese of Ohio, Province 5
- Cydney Jackson, Diocese of San Diego, Province 8
- Casey Nakamura, Diocese of Hawaii, Province 8
- Kayden Nasworthy, Diocese of Massachusetts, Province 1
- Joseph Prickett, Diocese of Nebraska, Province 6
- Justin Thao, Diocese of Minnesota, Province 6
- Hauseng Vang, Diocese of Minnesota, Province 6
- Roger Villatoro, Diocese of Southeast Florida, Province 4
- Rosanna Vizcaino, Diocese of the Dominican Republic, Province 9
- Arlette Benoit, Diocese of Atlanta, Province 4
- Vincent Black, Diocese of Ohio, Province 5
- Randy Callender, Diocese of Maryland, Province 3
- Cookie Cantwell, Diocese of East Carolina, Province 4
- Randall Curtis, Diocese of Arizona, Province 7
- Earl Gibson, Diocese of Los Angeles, canonically resident in Diocese of Arizona, Province 8
- Wendy Johnson, Diocese of Minnesota, Province 6
- Andrew Kellner, Diocese of Pennsylvania, Province 3
- Shannon Kelly, Diocese of Southern Ohio, canonically resident in Diocese of Milwaukee, Province 5
- Abigail Moon, Diocese of Florida, Province 4