House of Bishops Daily Account for Wednesday, March 30, 2011
The House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church met at the Kanuga Conference Center in North Carolina from March 25 to March 30. The following is an account of the activities for Wednesday, March 30.
- Following Morning Prayer and Bible Study, Emcee for the Day Bishop Ed Little of Northern Indiana opened the session.
- The theme for the Day was a continuation of the previous eveningsâ topic: Selection, Recruitment, and Formation of Young Leaders.
- Bishop Neil Alexander of Atlanta introduced a conversation about theological education.
Small group discussion questions were:
- What is your vision for theological education and how does that vision connect with the particular needs of your diocese?
- What are the obstacles and opportunities to fulfilling that vision?
- What is/are the gift(s) in all this for the church?
Following the small group discussion, a panel reviewed the current theological education and possibilities for the future with the seminary deans:
Mr. Bob Bottoms. Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
The Very Rev. Joseph H. Britton, Berkeley Divinity School at Yale
The Very Rev. Ian S. Markham, Virginia Theological Seminary
The Rev. Dr. Katherine Ragsdale, Episcopal Divinity School
Dr. Robert Reber, Bexley Hall Seminary
The Very Rev. Mark Richardson, Church Divinity School of the Pacific
The Very Rev. Dr. William S. Stafford, School of Theology â" University of the South
The Very Rev. Dr. Justyn Terry, Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry
The Very Rev. Douglas Travis, Seminary of the Southwest
Bishop Peter Lee, interim dean of General Theological Seminary
(The Very Rev. Robert S. Munday, Nashotah House was not present on Wednesday)
Each of the deans described a key action of each seminary.
Bishops Tom Breidenthal of Southern Ohio and Joe Burnett of Nebraska spoke from their experiences as both seminary faculty members and as bishops and how these experiences have shaped their perspectives on current needs for theological education in the church.
Bishop Alexander facilitated a plenary discussion on seminary education which included such topics as Spanish language offerings, faculty tenure, student costs, seminary financial stability, and new forms of education for those who are unable to attend a seminary.
- The afternoon session began with the three visiting Anglican Communion Primates - Archbishop Fred Hiltz of the Anglican Church of Canada, Archbishop Henri Isingoma, Primate of Congo and Archbishop Paul Kim, Primate of Korea - offering reflections about their time with HOB, ranging from the content of the meeting to the Anglican Covenant discussions, the Islam-Christianity presentations, worship and Bible Study, and the theological education conversations.
- Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori called the business meeting to order.
Among the actions taken:
HOB elected Alison St. Louis from Virginia Theological Seminary to the College for Bishops Board of Directors for a three year term.
HOB elected the following bishops to the Disciplinary Board for Bishops: Dena Harrison, Texas; Herman Hollerith, Southern Virginia; Scott Mayer, Northwest Texas; James Magness, Federal Ministries; Prince Singh, Rochester; Robert Fitzpatrick, Hawaii; Dorsey Henderson Upper South Carolina; Francisco Duque, Colombia; James Waggoner, Spokane; Catherine Waynick, Indianapolis.
- HOB concluded with Eucharist celebrated by Bishop Mark Lattime of Alaska, commemorating Innocent of Alaska.
Media Briefers for March 30:
Bishop Larry Benfield of Arkansas
Bishop James Magness of Armed Services and Federal Ministries
Bishop Todd Ousley of Eastern Michigan
The Episcopal Church: www.episcopalchurch.org
Episcopal Church Federal Ministries: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/federalministries
Diocese of Arkansas: www.episcopalarkansas.org
Diocese of Alaska: www.episcopalak.org
Diocese of Atlanta: www.episcopalatlanta.org
Diocese of Eastern Michigan: www.eastmich.org
Diocese of Nebraska: www.episcopal-ne.org/
Diocese of Northern Indiana: www.ednin.org
Diocese of Southern Ohio: www.diosohio.org
Berkeley Divinity School at Yale: www.berkeleydivinity.net
Bexley Hall Seminary: www.bexley.edu
Church Divinity School of the Pacific: www.cdsp.edu
Episcopal Divinity School: www.eds.edu
General Theological Seminary: www.gts.edu
Nashotah House: www.nashotah.edu
Seabury-Western Theological Seminary: www.seabury.edu
Seminary of the Southwest: www.ssw.edu
School of Theology â" University of the South: www.theology.sewanee.edu
Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry: www.tsm.edu
Virginia Theological Seminary: www.vts.edu
Anglican Church of Canada: www.anglican.ca
Anglican Church of Congo: congo.anglican.org
Anglican Church of South Korea: http://www.skh.or.kr/