EYE20 Registration now open for diocesan delegations
Registration is now open for diocesan delegations for the 2020 Episcopal Youth Event (EYE20), which will be held at the University of Maryland, College Park (UMD), Diocese of Washington, July 7-11, 2020.
Registration for EYE20 is being offered to provincial, diocesan, congregational, and other Episcopal organizational delegations as long as all EYE20 participation and chaperone criteria are met. However, in keeping with the spirit of General Convention Resolution 1982-D079, which encourages dioceses to support and participate in EYE, registration preference is given to diocesan delegations with an early registration window.
Registration for Open Delegations, bishops, staff and guests will open on January 27, 2020 at 9 am Eastern.
The theme for EYE20 is “unite! ¡unámonos!” The Planning Team chose this theme at their October meeting after considerable time in discussion, reflection, and prayer.
The event speakers, preachers, and workshops will continue to be developed based on this theme.
Youth participants in EYE20 must be enrolled in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade during this school year or must have turned at least 15 and be no older than 19 by the event start. Current freshman who are 14 will have an opportunity to attend EYE2023 as the Episcopal Youth Event is on a three-year cycle.
Delegations must send a minimum of two chaperones; one must be 25 years old or older. All other chaperones must be at least 21 years old at the time of the event, with one adult for every six youths. Chaperone teams must include genders represented among the youth. That means if you have both male and female youth participating, you need to have both male and female chaperones. All adults must have completed Safeguarding Training within the past 5 years and must have a current (within 3 years) Criminal Sexual Background check on file to be in compliance with current Model Policies for the Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Misconduct.
Registering for EYE20
There are several important new features of the registration process for EYE20 to support the growth of the event. These include:
- Fees for EYE20: Separate fees for registration and housing allow for delegations to arrange off-campus housing, if desired. Cost per person for event registration, which includes event activities as well as lunch and dinner on July 8, 9 and 10, is $200. This cost applies to all participants, including youth, chaperones, bishops, guests, and staff. The per-person cost for on-campus housing and breakfast package is $200. Event rates are available at several local hotels. These are listed on the EYE20 website. A 10% deposit will be collected at the time of registration. The remainder will be due by June 5, 2020.
- The University of Maryland is not available for housing before or after the event.
- No on-campus activities or meals are offered Tuesday, July 7 (arrival day). Instead, delegations are invited to register, drop off their luggage, and enjoy the local sites, including a visit to the Washington National Cathedral. A site and restaurant guide will be posted as the event nears. Similarly, there will be no breakfast provided on Saturday, July 11.
- EYE20 will take place on campus each day. No local pilgrimages are being planned during the course of the event.
- There is no cap on the number of youth participants a delegation may bring to EYE20. However, all chaperone criteria (listed on the website) must be met. No delegations will be permitted to attend EYE20 without meeting these criteria.
- Each delegation must have a designated registrar. The registrar is an authorized representative from an Episcopal institution whose role is to process delegation payments and evidence of Safeguarding Training and Criminal Sexual Background checks. The registrar does not have to travel as a chaperone but at least one adult chaperone over the age of 25 must travel with the group and serve as the primary contact for the delegation.
Please note: EYE20 will fill up quickly. Registration is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Delegations should be prepared to register as soon as possible after the assigned date.
“We have been focusing on invitation and inclusion to bring the greatest possible diversity to EYE leadership and participation,” explains Bronwyn Clark Skov, officer for Youth Ministries, “By giving priority to diocesan delegations for registration we affirm the value of doing things together as a diocese. And by opening up beyond diocesan delegations we make it possible for youth in places lacking diocesan infrastructure, organization, or access to still participate in this international youth event offered by their church.”
Registration and information about EYE20, including FAQs: https://events.episcopalchurch.org/eye/
Questions? Contact Bronwyn Skov, email@example.com.
If you are a Diocesan Registrar and did not receive an email with a link to register please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.