Episcopal Church announces 2020 Beloved Community “Rapid-Response” grant recipients
The Executive Council of The Episcopal Church has awarded thirty-three Beloved Community “Rapid-Response” grants totaling $187,800 to address the racial disparities laid bare by the coronavirus pandemic and for groups responding to racist violence and policing reform. Awards began in late summer and the final round were approved at Council’s October 2020 meeting.
Across America, COVID-19 continues to disproportionately affect people of color in terms of health outcomes, access to testing and treatment, safe work environments, and more. At the same time, many recognize the pandemic of ongoing violence directed against black people and other people of color, especially at the hands of law enforcement personnel in communities in the Americas and beyond.
Three rounds of “Rapid-Response” grants were awarded. These grants are drawn from funds allocated by General Convention in 2018 to build capacity and increase Episcopal engagement in Beloved Community.
Learn more about the Church’s work on Becoming Beloved Community at https://www.episcopalchurch.org/beloved-community, and see resources for “Responding to Racist Violence and Police Brutality” at https://www.episcopalchurch.org/responding-to-racist-violence.
- All Saints' Episcopal Church, Hilton Head, SC, Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina, $8,000
- Beloved Community Initiative/Episcopal Diocese of Iowa, Des Moines, IA, $9,000
- Middleham and St. Peter's Parish, Lusby, MD, Episcopal Diocese of Maryland, $5,000
- All Saints' Episcopal Church, Chicago IL, Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, $6,000
- Haitian Congregation of the Good Samaritan, Bronx, NY, Episcopal Diocese of New York, $6,000
- Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee Beloved Community: Commission for racial reconciliation, Nashville, TN, $6,000
- St. Nicholas Episcopal Church/La Iglesia Episcopal de San Nicolas, Richfield, MN, the Episcopal Church in Minnesota, $8,000
- The Episcopal Diocese of Olympia, Seattle, WA, $5,400
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Camden, NJ, Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey, $6,000
- Neighbor to Neighbor: a partnership between EMM, the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts and the Episcopal Diocese of the Rio Grande, Boston, MA, $5,000
- THREAD Refugee Mask-Sewing Project, Sponsored by Imago Dei Middle School, Tuscon, AZ, Episcopal Diocese of Arizona, $5,000
- Episcopal Diocese of Maryland Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Baltimore, MD, $4,550
- The Episcopal Church in Navajoland, Farmington, NM, $9,000.00
- St. Anna's Episcopal Church, New Orleans, LA, Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana, $5,000
- The Episcopal Church of the Incarnation, Ann Arbor, MI, Episcopal Diocese of Michigan, $4,550
- St. Mark's Cathedral, Minneapolis, MN, the Episcopal Church in Minnesota, $3,500
- African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas, Philadelphia, PA, Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, $4,000
- Vecinos Seguros @ Trinity Lime Rock Church, Lakeville, CT, the Episcopal Church in Connecticut, $5,000
- Grace Episcopal Church, Ocala, FL, Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida, $7,000
- Episcopal Church of Sts. Andrew and Matthew, Wilmington, DE, the Episcopal Church in Delaware, $5,000
- St. Elizabeth's Episcopal Church, Elizabeth, NJ, Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey, $6,000
- Plainsong Farm, Rockford, MI, Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan, $6,000
- Province VII Anti-Racism Network, Houston, TX, Episcopal Diocese of Texas, $8,000
- St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, Montgomery, OH, Episcopal Diocese of Southern Ohio, $5,000
- St. Christopher's Episcopal Church, Carmel, IN, Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, $2,800
- St. James Episcopal Parish, Kent, WA, Episcopal Diocese of Olympia, $5,000
- The Episcopal Diocese of Washington, Washington, DC, $6,000
- The Church of the Epiphany, Washington, DC, Episcopal Diocese of Washington, $6,000
- Barth Safe House, Shelby County, TN, Episcopal Diocese of West Tennessee $5,000
- Episcopal Diocese of Georgia Racial Justice and Healing Ministries, Savannah, GA, $5,000
- Memorial Episcopal Church, Baltimore, MD, Episcopal Diocese of Maryland, $6,000
- St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, Kenwood, CA, Episcopal Diocese of Northern California, $5,000
- Church of the Nativity, San Rafael, CA, Episcopal Diocese of California, $5,000
Please direct questions about the Beloved Community Rapid-Response grants to Advisory Group leaders Rev. Edwin Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Rev. Meg Wagner at email@example.com or to Sarah Alphin, associate for Evangelism, Reconciliation and Creation Care, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-716-6102.