Celebrate the Season of Creation
Episcopalians are invited to join churches around the world in celebrating the Season of Creation; a time for people of faith to renew their relationship with God and all creation through celebration, prayer, and action. The Season’s roots rise from the Orthodox Christian tradition; the World Council of Churches was instrumental in making the special time a season, extending the celebration from September 1 until St. Francis Day, October 4. The Episcopal Church Office of Creation Care offers Season of Creation and St. Francis Day Resources to help plan.
"The Season of Creation invites us to think deeply about our ecological, economic, and political ways of living, and to work towards justice and right relationship with God's Creation,” says the Rev. Melanie Mullen, director of Reconciliation, Justice, and Creation Care, “We are thrilled to participate in this global effort."
Season of Creation Resources include:
- Season of Creation Weekly Devotional: Leaders from The Episcopal Church, the Anglican Church in Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada collaborated on a set of weekly devotionals for the Season of Creation 2020. In Presiding Bishop Michael Curry’s words, “Liberating, life-giving God, help us to know that we and the world you have created are truly the work of your hands. Give us knowledge and wisdom to care for your handiwork now and for future generations. Amen.” The Devotional is also available in a double spread format here.
- Season Of Creation website: This website includes the Season of Creation 2020 celebration guide which includes this prayer, information on events and how to take action to celebrate the season, with ideas for an outdoor prayer service, creation walk or pilgrimage, sustainability event, or preaching about creation throughout the Season.
- Episcopal Liturgical Resources for Honoring God in Creation: Explore a host of liturgical resources for honoring God’s creation, from The Episcopal Church’s Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music. En Español aquí.
- Creation Care Resource Page: Compiled by Episcopalians from across the Church, this page includes resources on loving formation (teaching, preaching, worship), liberating advocacy for environmental justice, and life-giving conservation and sustainability efforts. Users are invited to share their best resources here.
St. Francis Day Resources include:
- Episcopal Church - St. Francis Day Resources - Use this comprehensive resource to plan a Blessing of the Animals service, a St. Francis Day service, or to find story books and historical resources about St. Francis of Assisi.
- La Bendición de los Animales– Blessing of the Animals services in Spanish, published by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.
The Season of Creation is an excellent opportunity to try out an outdoor formation event or outdoor worship service where safe, as a source of joy and connection with animals and with God's creation.
“I hope these resources inspire people to spend this season engaging with protecting the beauty of God's creation and our responsibility to care for the Earth, for the people most vulnerable to climate change, and our companion animals,” said Mullen.
Email email@example.com, or call, Melanie Mullen, (212-716-6000) or Phoebe Chatfield, administrative associate for Creation Care, (347-712-0679) for additional information.