Participate in Upcoming Briefing on Climate Change and Poverty
“The Impact of Climate Change on People Living in Poverty”
(In Observance of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty)
Date: Thursday, 29 November 2012
Time: 10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Location: Salvation Army, 221 East 52nd, Street, New York, NY
Online participation: You can also post questions and comments during the session on our Facebook (facebook.com/UNDPINGOsPartners4Change) or Twitter (#DPINGO).
This Briefing will examine the impact of the effects of climate change on people living in poverty, as well as what needs to be done now to help the poor find sustainable solutions that will mitigate the impact of this phenomenon.. The discussion will also focus on how NGOs and members of civil society can empower the bottom billion and ensure their support and participation in reaching the Millennium Development Goals by the year 2015.
- Maria-Luisa Chavez, Chief, NGO Relations, Outreach Division, Department of Public Information
- His Excellency Ambassador Abulkalam Abdul Momen, Permanent Representative of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh to the United Nations.
- Pia Treichel, Climate Change Knowledge Management Specialist, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sister Caroljean Willie, NGO Representative for Sisters of Charity Federation; Committee member on the Committee for Social Development; the Working Group on Poverty and Climate Change; and the Working Group on the Integrity of Creation.
- Christian Parenti, Contributing editor at The Nation, visiting scholar at the City University of New York, and author of numerous books including, Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence.