The Church in Wales was disestablished and separated from the Province of Canterbury by Act of the British Parliament in 1920. The Anglican Church has the largest denomination in Wales, with its own Council for Mission and Ministry.
Until 1970, the Church was part of the Church of India, Pakistan, Burma, and Ceylon. The first Anglican services were held in 1796, and missionaries began their work in 1818.
The rebirth of Christianity began with the arrival of Christian freed slaves in Nigeria in the middle of the nineteenth century. The Church Missionary Society established an evangelistic ministry, particularly in the south. The division of the Province of West Africa in 1979 formed the Province of Nigeria and the Province of West Africa. During the 1990s, nine missionary Bishops consecrated themselves to evangelism in northern Nigeria.
The Church was inaugurated in 1947 by the union of the South India United Church (itself a union of Congregational and Presbyterian/Reformed traditions), the southern Anglican diocese of the Church of India, Burma, Ceylon, and the Methodist Church in South India. It is one of the four United Churches in the Anglican Communion.