The Province is the oldest in Africa. British Anglicans met for worship in Cape Town after 1806, with the first Bishop appointed in 1847. The twenty-three dioceses of the Province extend beyond the Republic of South Africa and include the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha), Mozambique (Lebombo and Niassa), the Republic of Namibia, the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Kingdom of Swaziland and Angola.
The Universities Mission to Central Africa and the Church Missionary Society began work in 1864 and 1878 at Mpwapwa. The Province was inaugurated in 1970 following the division of the Province of East Africa into the Province of Kenya and the Province of Tanzania. The nineteen dioceses represent both evangelical and Anglo-Catholic Churches.
The Anglican Communion is the gathering of Anglican and Episcopal churches from around the world. Today, the Anglican Communion comprises more than 80 million members in 44 regional and national member churches in more than 160 countries.