The 1838 General Convention of voted to divide the Diocese of New York. This was the first division of a diocese and the first diocese that did not follow state lines. The primary convention of the Diocese of Western New York met at Trinity Church, Geneva. The 1868 General Convention divided the diocese as did the 1931 General Convention. The present Diocese of Western New York includes the following counties: Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming. Bishop Arthur Cleveland Coxe named St. Paul's Church, Buffalo, the Cathedral, and the diocesan convention made this official on May 20, 1930.
Western New York, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.