The 1874 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Michigan and establish a new diocese. The primary convention of the new diocese met at St. Mark's Church, Grand Rapids, on Dec. 2, 1874. It chose the name the Diocese of Western Michigan. It includes the following counties: Allegan, Antrim, Barry, Benzie, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Charleviox, Clare, Eaton, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Ionia, Isabella, Kalamazoo, Kalkaska, Kent, Lake, Leelenau, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Missaukee, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Osceola, Ottawa, St. Joseph, Van Buren, and Wexford. On Dec. 15, 1942, St. Mark's Church, Grand Rapids, was set apart as St. Mark's Cathedral, and on May 19, 1964, it reverted to being St. Mark's Church. The Cathedral Church of Christ the King, Kalamazoo, opened on May 4, 1969, and it was dedicated on Oct. 26, 1969.
Western Michigan, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.