The 1901 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Kansas and form a Missionary District in the western part of the state. It was named the Missionary District of Salina and includes the following counties: Barber, Barton, Cheyenne, Clark, Cloud, Comanche, Decatur, Edwards, Ellis, Ellsworth, Finney, Ford, Gove, Graham, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Harper, Haskell, Hodgeman, Jewell, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Lane, Lincoln, Logan, McPherson, Meade, Mitchell, Morton, Ness, Norton, Osborne, Ottawa, Pawnee, Phillips, Pratt, Rawlins, Reno, Republic, Rice, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Saline, Scott, Seward, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Stanton, Stevens, St. John, Thomas, Trego, Wallace, and Wichita. On Nov. 14, 1960, the House of Bishops changed the name to the Missionary District of Western Kansas, and on Oct. 15, 1970, the General Convention made it the Diocese of Western Kansas. On July 13, 1903, Christ Church, Salina, became Christ Cathedral.
Western Kansas, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.