(Nov. 5, 1909-Jan. 3, 1990). Leading theologian and liturgist. He was born in Boston. West received his B.S. from Boston University in 1931 and his B.D. from the General Theological Seminary in 1934. He was ordained deacon on June 13, 1934, and priest on May 31, 1935. After seven years of ministry at Trinity Church, Ossining, New York, West joined the staff of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City, where he held numerous positions until he retired in 1981. He joined the cathedral staff as canon sacrist in 1941. He was master of ceremonies when he retired. West was a leading spokesman about liturgy and ceremony around the world. West was a member of a number of honorary organizations, including the Order of the British Empire. He was an honorary chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, a theological consultant for the American Heritage Dictionary and the Funk and Wagnall Encyclopedia, and a member of the Commission for Anglican/Orthodox Doctrinal Discussions. West designed the Compass Rose that became the emblem of the Anglican Communion. It was dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, at the 1988 Lambeth Conference. West died in New York City. See Compass Rose.
West, Edward Nason
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.