A historically African American, coeducational institution, offering the bachelor's degree. The leader in its founding was Joseph Brinton Smith, executive director of the Freedman's Commission of the Episcopal Church. It was chartered on July 19, 1867, at St. Augustine's Normal School and Collegiate Institute and received its first four students on Jan. 13, 1868. From 1896 to 1959, St. Agnes' Hospital and Nursing Home was part of the college. It also operated the Bishop Tuttle School for religious and social workers, 1925-1941. In 1921 the name was changed to St. Augustine's College, and in 1931 the first twelve B.A. degrees were awarded. In 1934 it was accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges.
St Augustine's College, Raleigh, North Carolina
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.