Successor to several late nineteenth-/early twentieth-century schools. St. Andrew's Industrial and Training School for Boys opened on Sept. 21, 1905, near Gibson's Switch, Tennessee, near Sewanee. Later in 1905 the Order of the Holy Cross took over the school. In Apr. 1906 it officially adopted the school as a "work of the Order." In 1888 St. Mary's-on-the-Mountain, a convent of the Community of St. Mary, opened near Sewanee. In the fall of 1896 St. Mary's-on-the-Mountain opened its Mountain Training School for Girls. It evolved into St. Mary's Preparatory School for Girls. It closed at the end of the 1967-1968 academic year. Sixty-eight of the girls transferred to the previously all-male Sewanee Military Academy. The Sewanee Military School began as the Sewanee Grammar School. It was a preparatory school for the University of the South. In 1902 it became the Sewanee Grammar Academy. In 1908 it became the Sewanee Military Academy. In 1971 the Academy demilitarized and became the Sewanee Academy. The St. Andrew's Industrial and Training School for Boys evolved into St. Andrew's School. St. Andrew's School and the Sewanee Academy merged and opened on the St. Andrew's campus in the fall of 1981 as St. Andrew's-Sewanee School (SAS).
St Andrew's-Sewanee School, Sewanee, Tennessee (SAS)
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.