An accredited seminary of the Episcopal Church, located in Evanston, Illinois. Seabury-Western was the result of the merger of Seabury Divinity School, Faribault, Minnesota, and the Western Theological Seminary, Chicago, on July 1, 1933. Seabury Divinity School was founded in 1858 by James Lloyd Breck. It was first called Seabury Divinity Hall. Western Theological Seminary opened on Sept. 29, 1885, under the leadership of Bishop William Edward McLaren (1831-1905) of Chicago. See Breck, James Lloyd; see Bishop Seabury University.
Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.