The 1877 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Illinois into three dioceses. The three dioceses are Quincy, Springfield, and Chicago. The Diocese of Quincy includes the following counties: Adams, Brown, Bureau, Fulton, Hancock, Henry, Knox, McDonough, Mercer, Peoria, Pike, Schuyler, Stark, Warren, and Woodford. The primary convention of the Diocese met at St. John's Cathedral, Quincy, Dec. 11, 1877. On Sept. 15, 1877, even before the official creation of the new diocese, St. John's Church, Quincy, was given to the diocese as St. John's Cathedral. On May 7, 1962, St. John's Cathedral became St. John's Parish, and St. Paul's Church, Peoria, became the Cathedral Church of St. Paul.
Quincy, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.