The 1901 General Convention established the Missionary District of the Philippines, sometimes called the Philippine Islands. In 1972 it became the Missionary Diocese of the Philippines. The Cathedral Church of St. Mary and St. John was consecrated in 1902. In July 1988 the House of Bishops voted to release the Philippine Episcopal Church to form a new province. On May 1, 1990, the Philippine Episcopal Church became autonomous as the twenty-eighth Province of the Anglican Communion.
Philippines, Diocese of the
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.