On Oct. 13, 1853, the General Convention established the Missionary District of the Oregon and Washington Territory. On Oct. 15, 1880, the General Convention divided this Missionary District into the Missionary District of Oregon and the Missionary District of Washington. The 1892 General Convention then divided Washington into the Missionary District of Olympia and the Missionary District of Spokane. A special convocation met on Sept. 14, 1910, to organize the Diocese of Olympia. The diocese held its first convention at St. Paul's Church, Seattle, on May 30-31, 1911. The diocese includes the following counties: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, San Juan, Skagit, Skamania, Snohomish, Thurston, Whatcom, and Wahkiakum. In 1926 St. Mark's Church, Seattle, became St. Mark's Cathedral. The Cathedral was dedicated on Apr. 26, 1931.
Olympia, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.