The diocese was first organized on Jan. 5, 1818. The 1874 General Convention voted to divide the diocese and establish the Diocese of Southern Ohio. The Diocese of Ohio includes the following counties: Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Auglaize, Carroll, Columbia, Coshocton, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Defiance, Erie, Fulton, Geauga, Hancock, Hardin, Harrison, Henry, Holmes, Huron, Jefferson, Knox, Lake, Logan, Loraine, Lucas, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Mercer, Morrow, Ottowa, Paulding, Portage, Putnam, Richland, Sandusky, Seneca, Shelby, Starke, Summit, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Union, Van Wert, Wayne, Williams, Wood, and Wyandot. Trinity Church, Cleveland, became Trinity Cathedral on Mar. 2, 1890.
Ohio, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.