This diocese was organized on Aug. 25, 1802, at Concord. On May 29, 1810, representatives from the Diocese of New Hampshire participated in the organization of the Eastern Diocese. The Eastern Diocese was not a diocese in the usual sense, but an arrangement whereby several weak dioceses could work together. New Hampshire remained a part of the Eastern Diocese until it withdrew on June 26, 1839. The first Bishop of New Hampshire, Charlton Chase, was consecrated on Oct. 20, 1844. The Diocese of New Hampshire does not have a cathedral. See Eastern Diocese.
New Hampshire, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.