The diocese includes the entire state of Nevada. It was preceded by a number of missionary districts. On Oct. 21, 1865, the House of Bishops established the Missionary District of Nevada and parts adjacent with jurisdiction in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. In 1868 the Bishops changed it to the Missionary District of Nevada and Arizona, and then the General Convention of 1874 changed it to the Missionary District of Nevada. The House of Bishops in 1886 changed it yet again to the Missionary District of Nevada and Utah. At the 1898 General Convention, the House of Bishops created the Missionary District of Salt Lake which included Nevada. In 1907 the House of Bishops created the Missionary District of Nevada. The primary convention of the Diocese of Nevada was held on Apr. 14-17, 1971, at Christ Church, Las Vegas. It does not have a cathedral.
Nevada, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.