The primary convention of the Diocese of Kansas met at St. Paul's Church, Wyandotte (now Kansas City), Aug. 11-12, 1859. On June 5, 1879, Grace Church, Topeka, was set apart as Grace Cathedral. The 1901 General Convention voted to divide the diocese and create a Missionary District in the western part of the state. The Diocese of Kansas includes the following counties: Allen, Anderson, Atchison, Bourbon, Brown, Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Clay, Coffey, Cowley, Crawford, Dickinson, Doniphan, Douglas, Elk, Franklin, Geary, Greenwood, Harvey, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Labette, Leavenworth, Linn, Lyon, Marion, Marshall, Miami, Montgomery, Morris, Nemaha, Neosho, Osage, Pottawatomie, Riley, Sedgwick, Shawnee, Sumner, Wabaunsee, Washington, Wilson, Woodson, and Wyandotte.
Kansas, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.