The seat of the Bishop of California. It was organized on Apr. 28, 1850, by the Rev. Jean Leonard ver Mehr (1809-1886), the first priest appointed to San Francisco. It was the second Episcopal parish in San Francisco. The first church building opened for services on July 20, 1850. On Jan. 24, 1910, the cornerstone for a new building was laid, and on Feb. 4, 1910, Grace Parish merged with the newly formed Grace Cathedral Corporation. The Cathedral was consecrated on Nov. 20, 1964.
Grace Cathedral, San Francisco
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.