This weekly publication was a leading periodical standing for low church evangelical principles. It began publication on June 22, 1822, in Philadelphia, under the name The Church Record. With the Apr. 5, 1823, issue the name was changed to The Philadelphia Recorder. On Apr. 2, 1831, the name was changed to The Episcopal Recorder. It absorbed The Washington Theological Repertory in Dec. 1830, and The Western Episcopalian in Sept. 1859. It continued publication until Dec. 1919. An editorial in the May 6, 1865, issue demanded that some of the leading bishops and clergy of the South be hanged by the government on the grounds that they had been leaders in the original movement for secession.
Episcopal Recorder, The
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.