In 1831 the widow of William Holland Wilmer opened a school adjacent to Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia. The school was in a house called Howard, and it was known as the Howard School for Boys. It closed in 1834. At the 1837 Convention of the Diocese of Virginia, it was proposed that a school be established. The trustees of Virginia Seminary assumed responsibility for it. The Episcopal High School began operation on Oct. 15, 1839, but closed in 1844 for financial reasons. It reopened again in 1845. The school has operated continuously since 1845, with the exception of the Civil War years. It separated from Virginia Seminary and became an independent school in 1923.
Episcopal High School, Alexandria, Virginia
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.