(Feb. 15, 1867-Jan. 18, 1944). Church musician and editor. He was born in Oswego, New York, and received his Bachelor in Music degree from Syracuse University in 1891. He also studied at St. Andrew's Divinity School, Syracuse; Matthew's Hall, Denver; and in England, France, and Germany, particularly with the Benedictines of Solesmes. He was ordained deacon on Oct. 15, 1893, and began his ministry as curate at the Church of the Redeemer, New York, but he moved to Denver in 1894 for health reasons. He was Canon Minor at St. John's Cathedral, Denver, 1894-1897. From 1897 until 1907, he was associate missionary at Evergreen, Colorado, and established the Church of the Transfiguration. He was ordained priest on Aug. 6, 1899. Douglas was canon residentiary at St. Paul's Cathedral, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, 1907-1934. In 1923 he was largely responsible for the founding of the Evergreen Conference. Douglas assumed a leading role in conference planning, especially the School of Music. He had a life-long relationship as musical and liturgical leader with the Sisters of the Community of St. Mary, in both Peekskill, New York, and Kenosha, Wisconsin. In 1934 he was made honorary canon of St. John's Cathedral, Denver. He was musical editor of The Hymnal (1916), and served on the Joint Commission of the Revision of the Hymnal which produced The Hymnal (1940). He delivered the Hale Lectures at Seabury-Western Theological Seminary in 1935 with the title "The Praise of God," which were published in 1937 under the title Church Music in History and Practice. His catalogue of publications as an editor of chant is vast. Douglas translated texts or stanzas that are used in six hymns in The Hymnal 1982, including "On Jordan's Bank" (76), "Give praise and glory unto God" (375), and "Spread, O spread, thou mighty word" (530). He died in Santa Rosa, California.
Douglas, Charles Winfred
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.