The General Convention of 1874 voted to divide the Diocese of Texas and create the Missionary District of Northern Texas and the Missionary District of Western Texas. At the primary convention on Dec. 19-20, 1895, at St. Matthew's Cathedral, Dallas, the Missionary District of Northern Texas became the Diocese of Dallas. The Diocese of Dallas was divided in 1910 and again in 1982. It includes the following counties: Bowie, Camp, Cass, Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Fannin, Franklin, Grayson, Hopkins, Hunt, Kaufman, Lamar, Morris, Navarro, Rains, Red River, Rockwall, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, and Wood. On Feb. 5, 1875, Bishop Alexander Charles Garrett named St. Matthew's, Dallas, the Cathedral of the Missionary District.
Dallas, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.