This periodical was published in New York City. It was a vigorous Anglo-Catholic publication. It began publication on Feb. 5, 1853. Its leading editor was John Henry Hopkins, Jr. (1820-1891). It merged with the Gospel Messenger. With the Nov. 4, 1872, issue it carried the new title, Church Journal and Gospel Messenger. It ceased publication on Feb. 14, 1878, and was absorbed by The Churchman.
Church Journal, The
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.