This journal began publication on Mar. 15, 1873, and carried the subtitle "A Magazine of Church Opinion, Religious Literature, and Ecclesiastical Miscellany." The first editor and proprietor was the Rev. William Thomas Gibson (1822-1896). In Apr. 1878 the subtitle was changed to "A Monthly Magazine of Church Literature and Church Work; With Notes and Summaries." The subtitle was changed to "An Anglo-Catholic Magazine of Church Literature with Notes and News Summaries" in Apr. 1892. The editor from 1896 to 1900 was Frederick Cook Morehouse (1868-1932). The Rev. Arthur Lowndes (1858-1917) was the editor from Apr. 1900 until Feb. 1908, when it ceased publication.
Church Eclectic, The
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.