The mission to Brazil began on Aug. 31, 1889 when James Watson Morris (1859-1954) and Lucien Lee Kinsolving (1862-1929) sailed for Brazil as missionaries. On Oct. 20, 1898, the House of Bishops elected Kinsolving Bishop for the United States of Brazil. The General Convention of 1907 created the Missionary District of Brazil and elected Kinsolving Missionary Bishop. The same General Convention also changed the name to the Missionary District of Southern Brazil. On Sept. 30, 1949, the House of Bishops divided the Missionary District of Southern Brazil into three missionary districts-Southern Brazil, Southwestern Brazil, and Central Brazil. On Oct. 20, 1964, the House of Bishops voted for an independent Brazilian Church, and in 1965 the Episcopal Church of Brazil became an independent province of the Anglican Communion.
Brazil, Missionary District of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.