Also called "mite boxes," these small, blue, cardboard boxes are used to collect funds for the United Thank Offering, sponsored by the Episcopal Church Women. The name was first used at the General Convention of 1925. Mary Abbot Emery, first secretary of the Women's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions, and Mrs. Richard Soule of Pittsburgh, each claimed that the other began the offering to raise money for building churches and supporting missionaries. The date generally given for the beginning of these offerings is Oct. 3, 1889, at the Triennial Meeting of the churchwomen. The original name was the United Offering.
Blue Box (UTO)
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.