One of eleven Episcopal seminaries in the U.S. It was founded by Bishop John Williams of Connecticut. It began in 1849 as the theological department of Trinity College, Hartford, and opened as a divinity school on Oct. 2, 1854, at Middletown. In 1928 it moved to New Haven and was affiliated with Yale University. On June 30, 1971, it merged with the Yale Divinity School. The School is named for George Berkeley.
Berkeley Divinity School
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.