About 1859, the Rev. Horatio Thomas Wells (1816-1871) bought the property in Bucks County where a Dr. William Chapman operated a school for boys with speech defects, known as a "stammering school." Here Wells opened a boarding school for boys, and in 1865-1866 the state legislature granted a charter naming the school Andalusia College. The school never granted degrees and did not long survive its founder.
Andalusia College, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.