(Mar. 12, 1801-Jan. 17, 1874). Leading evangelical theologian and opponent of Tractarianism. He was born in Charlestown, Massachusetts. His family moved to Huron County, Ohio, and Sparrow became involved with the educational enterprises of Bishop Philander Chase. He taught at a school in... Read More »
This monthly journal was published by the Board of Missions of the Episcopal Church. The first issue appeared in Jan. 1836, and the last issue appeared in Dec. 1939. It was continued by Forth. The Spirit of Missions is one of the major primary sources for the history of the Episcopal Church.... Read More »
A person, lay or ordained, with whom one communicates concerning the spiritual life may also be known as a soul-friend, soul-mate, or spiritual companion. A director listens and, when appropriate, responds by giving "direction" which may include spiritual advice, help with discernment, suggested... Read More »
Also called charisms, and partially listed in 1 Cor 12:4-11, these are graces granted by the Holy Spirit to empower the faithful to perform specific tasks. Called gratiae gratis datae (freely given graces) by the scholastics, they are at the service of charity (1 Cor 13:13). Given over and above... Read More »
An interest and intentional participation in the spiritual life, providing a context for open and direct experience of God and the entire spiritual realm at an intensely personal level. Spirituality concerns the whole of life in the context of faith. Resources for spirituality include participation... Read More »
On Oct. 13, 1853, the General Convention created the Missionary District of Oregon and Washington Territory. On Oct. 15, 1880, the General Convention divided it into the Missionary District of Oregon and the Missionary District of Washington. On Oct. 20, 1892, the General Convention divided the... Read More »
The 1877 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Illinois into the dioceses of Illinois, Quincy and Springfield. The primary convention of the Diocese of Springfield met at St. Paul's Church, Springfield, Dec. 18-19, 1877. It includes the following counties: Carr, Champaign,... Read More »
Andrew's College, Jackson, Mississippi. St. Andrew's College opened on Jan. 1, 1852, with the Rev. Meyer Lewin (1816-1886) as president. It was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Mississippi. It received its charter on Oct. 16, 1852, and was the first college with its own grounds... Read More »
Founded by Bishop Frederic Dan Huntington of Central New York, it opened on Sept. 16, 1876, and closed in 1905. The school's principal scholar was the Rev. Dr. William Dexter Wilson, who was dean, 1880-1900. Read More »
The oldest Anglican institution of theological education in the Spanish-speaking world. It was founded in 1894, by the Rev. Henry Forrester. The seminary is accredited by ALIET (Asociacion Latinoamericana Internacional de Escuelas Teologicas, Latin American Association of Theological Schools). It... Read More »
Successor to several late nineteenth-/early twentieth-century schools. St. Andrew's Industrial and Training School for Boys opened on Sept. 21, 1905, near Gibson's Switch, Tennessee, near Sewanee. Later in 1905 the Order of the Holy Cross took over the school. In Apr. 1906 it officially... Read More »
The idea of a church for the deaf came to the Rev. Thomas Gallaudet while he was ministering to a deaf teenager who was a student at the New York School for the Deaf, New York City. Gallaudet, with the support of the Bishop of New York, established St. Ann's Church for the Deaf. The first... Read More »
A bilingual institution of higher education created to make the American system of higher education accessible to a non-traditional student population with an emphasis on those of Hispanic descent. It was granted operating authority by the Illinois State Board of Higher Education on Oct. 7, 1980.... Read More »
A historically African American, coeducational institution, offering the bachelor's degree. The leader in its founding was Joseph Brinton Smith, executive director of the Freedman's Commission of the Episcopal Church. It was chartered on July 19, 1867, at St. Augustine's Normal... Read More »
One of several schools founded by James Lloyd Breck. In Dec. 1867, he bought the twenty-acre tract and buildings which belonged to the recently closed Benicia Collegiate Institute and Law School at Benicia, California. Breck opened his Missionary College in 1868. Breck also established St. Mary... Read More »
On Sept. 13, 1855, a charter was granted to "The rector, Church Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Clement's Church in the City of Philadelphia." The cornerstone of the new church was laid on May 12, 1856, by Bishop Alonzo Potter. The church was consecrated on Apr. 12, 1864. The influence of the... Read More »
See New York Training School for Deaconesses (NYTSD).
A national, not-for-profit behavioral health care organization serving children, adolescents, and their families. The Rt. Rev. Robert Herbert "Father Bob" Mize (1870-1956), founded St. Francis Academy (originally the St. Francis Boys' Home) in 1945. At that time he was the retired Bishop of... Read More »
St. James College was founded by the Rt. Rev. William Rollinson Whittingham, the fourth Bishop of Maryland, and the Rev. Theodore Benedict Lyman (1815-1893), rector of St. John's Church, Hagerstown. St. James was to be patterned after St. Paul's School, College Point, New York. Bishop... Read More »
The goals for the College of St. John the Evangelist were never fully realized. Jarvis Hall for boys, Wolfe Hall for girls, and Matthews Hall for theological students operated sporadically from 1879 to 1937. No degrees were ever awarded.
Historic seat of Henrico Parish, one of the oldest parishes in the United States. The plantation parish of Henrico began in 1611 with the Rev. Alexander Whitaker as its first rector. In 1617 plans were made for the "University and Colledge" of Henrico, and in 1619 ten thousand acres were granted... Read More »
In 1696 "King William's School" opened as a free school at Annapolis "to instruct youth in Arithmetick, Navigation and all useful learning, but chiefly for the fitting such as are disposed to study divinity." Governor Nicholson gave the land for a school building which was completed in 1701.... Read More »
St. John's College opened in Jan. 1852 as St. John's School for Boys, under the leadership of the Rev. John DeWitt McCollough (1822-1902). It was never really a college, and it closed in 1862 because of the Civil War. In Oct. 1866 the Theological Seminary of South Carolina reopened St.... Read More »
A preparatory school for boys in Delafield, Wisconsin, founded by James DeKoven in 1858. DeKoven was the warden of the school. It exemplified DeKoven's belief that students should live as a family in one building. The depression of 1859 caused it to merge with Racine College. DeKoven served as... Read More »
The Episcopal Church began an institution for boys in Shanghai around 1851. It was the foundation for St. John's. The school was founded by the Rt. Rev. Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky, Bishop of Shanghai, 1877-1883. The cornerstone of the building was laid on Easter Monday, Apr. 14, 1879,... Read More »
This church, also known as Old Brick Church, is near Smithfield in Isle of Wight County. It claims the distinction of being the oldest Episcopal Church in Virginia and the oldest building of English origin still standing in the United States. Historians think it was built in 1632 because three... Read More »
See Sewanee Theological Review.
Anita Adela Hodgkin was received as a candidate for the office of deaconess by Bishop William F. Nichols of California on Apr. 3, 1907. May Bostick Mott was received as a prospective deaconess by Bishop Nichols on May 18, 1908. Both women were members of St. Mark's Church, Berkeley, where... Read More »
In 1850 a charter was obtained for the establishment of an institution for academic, collegiate, and theological learning to be known as St. Mark's College. The only president was the Rev. Charles C. Taylor (d. 1855). St. Mark's College was abandoned in 1851. Read More »
The Rt. Rev. Alexander Charles Garrett, the first Bishop of Dallas, founded this school for women. A cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1876, but classes did not begin until Sept. 10, 1889. By 1900 the school offered a four-year program leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. With the exception of... Read More »
This school opened on May 12, 1842. In 1954 the name was changed to St. Mary's Junior College. It is now called St. Mary's College. It is a two-year school with a liberal arts curriculum for women. Read More »
In 1836 Bishop George Washington Doane of New Jersey bought an existing school for girls in Burlington and renamed it St. Mary's Hall. The new school opened on May 1, 1837, with fifty-two students. In 1849 the assets of St. Mary's Hall were transferred to the Trustees of Burlington... Read More »
Historic seat of St. Michael's parish. By an act of the South Carolina General Assembly on June 14, 1751, the parish of St. Philip's was divided and the parish of St. Michael established. Construction of the building took about a decade. The building is an important example of colonial... Read More »
See Breastplate of St. Patrick.
The cornerstone of St. Paul's College was laid on Oct. 15, 1836, by the Rev. William Augustus Muhlenberg. The Christian religion was the center of education for Muhlenberg, and the school was to train missionaries and teachers. It closed in 1848. Read More »
St. Paul's Normal and Industrial School was founded on Sept. 24, 1888, by the Rev. James Solomon Russell (1857-1935). In 1906 it became a part of the American Church Institute for Negroes. On Dec. 30, 1941, the name was changed to St. Paul's Polytechnic Institute, and on Feb. 27, 1957, to... Read More »
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.