The sacramental rites incorporating one into the life of the church. In the ancient church such initiation consisted of water baptism, anointing with oil and the laying on of hands, followed immediately by the reception of the Holy Eucharist. In later times this continuity of rites was broken. In... Read More »
This journal began publication on Jan. 22, 1817, in New York, "under the inspection of the Right Rev. Bishop Hobart." At first it was published every two weeks, but eventually became monthly. The last issue was published in Dec. 1830. It was "devoted to theological and miscellaneous subjects, and... Read More »
A Sunday Church School curriculum for children and high school students designed to encourage growth in the Christian faith and tradition. Published in 1916, it continued in use until it began to be replaced by the Seabury Series in 1949. It had two essential elements: 1) a sequence of themes, one... Read More »
The beginnings of Christian socialism in the Church of England are associated with the work of J. M. Ludlow, Charles Kingsley, and F. D. Maurice. Maurice was its prophet and theologian whose influence continues today. But he was no Marxist, and with most Englishmen he was unsympathetic to... Read More »
Christmas (in old English, Cristes maesse) is a festival celebrated on Dec. 25, commemorating the Incarnation of the Word of God in the birth of Jesus Christ. In the BCP it is also called The Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ. In the United States it is also a popular secular holiday. According to... Read More »
The work of Christ concerns the action of God in the Incarnation in "reconciling the world to himself" (2 Cor 5:19). Since the sixteenth century, many Protestant and some Anglican theologians have focused their discussion of Christ's work in the "three offices" of prophet,... Read More »
The earliest depictions of the crucifixion show Christ upon the cross, with body erect and with arms stretched straight out. He is clothed either in a long robe or with a loin cloth. There is no attempt to be realistic or to emphasize suffering or agony. The modern "Christus Rex"... Read More »
This weekly journal was published in New Haven, Connecticut. The first issue appeared in Jan. 1837. In 1840 the name was changed to Practical Christian and Church Chronicle. It ceased publication in 1845.
A monthly journal first published and edited by Alexander Griswold Cummins (1868-1946), at Christ Church, Poughkeepsie, New York. Cummins was a consummate low churchman who refused to have a cross or candles on the altar. The Chronicle was referred to by moderates and Anglo-Catholics as the "... Read More »
Measured quantitative time. See Kairos.
See Chrisom or chrysom or chrysome.
(c. 347-Sept. 14, 407). Eastern patriarch. He was born at Antioch in Syria. Early in life John became a monk. At times he lived as a hermit. He was soon recognized as a great preacher. Shortly after his death he was given the name Chrysostom, which means "golden-mouthed." In 397 he became the... Read More »
The Holy Catholic Church in China. The Episcopal Church had been active in China since 1844, when William Jones Boone was consecrated the Missionary Bishop of China. He was the first foreign Missionary Bishop of the Episcopal Church. English and Canadian Anglicans were also active in China. On Apr... Read More »
This weekly journal was published in Philadelphia from Nov. 29, 1884, until probably Nov. 20, 1886.
This periodical was published at Baltimore. It carried news for and about African American Episcopalians. It was published weekly from 1892 until 1898, and it was published monthly from 1899 until 1923. It ceased publication in 1923.
This periodical was published monthly in Lexington, Kentucky. It began publication early in 1835. It was the private venture of Dr. John E. Cooke, a prominent Kentucky lawyer. In Nov. 1835, the Rev. Henry Caswall became editor. Publication was suspended at the end of 1836.
See Protestant Churchman, The.
This quarterly periodical began publication in Jan., 1872, and ceased publication in 1874. It was an Anglo-Catholic publication.
A publication of the Publicity Department of the Presiding Bishop and Council. It began publication in Sept. 1920. It is no longer in existence.
See CDO Personal Profile.
One of the eleven Episcopal seminaries accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, this school was founded by Bishop William Ford Nichols of California. It opened on Oct. 18, 1893, at San Mateo, California. In Apr., 1930, the school moved to Berkeley, its present location. One of its most... Read More »
This journal began publication on Mar. 15, 1873, and carried the subtitle "A Magazine of Church Opinion, Religious Literature, and Ecclesiastical Miscellany." The first editor and proprietor was the Rev. William Thomas Gibson (1822-1896). In Apr. 1878 the subtitle was changed to "A Monthly Magazine... Read More »
This journal was published six times a year to create interest among American Episcopalians in the Japan Mission. It first appeared in Dec. 1894, and in 1896 it became a monthly publication. The last issue was Dec. 1900.
This weekly publication was the principal organ of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States. It was published at Raleigh, North Carolina, from Mar. 14, 1860 until Apr. 8, 1864. On Sept. 14, 1864, publication was resumed at Charlotte under the direction of the Episcopal Publishing... Read More »
This periodical was published in New York City. It was a vigorous Anglo-Catholic publication. It began publication on Feb. 5, 1853. Its leading editor was John Henry Hopkins, Jr. (1820-1891). It merged with the Gospel Messenger. With the Nov. 4, 1872, issue it carried the new title, Church Journal... Read More »
In Oct., 1836, a joint committee was formed to confer on securing a building for the work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society. In 1888 the Rev. William Langford, general secretary of the Missionary Society, argued that the church needed a headquarters so that its missionary activities... Read More »
This journal was published in Boston from Jan. 1861, until 1870. It was founded by Frederic Dan Huntington and George Maxwell Randall (1810-1873). In 1870 it became the Church Weekly, of New York. However, it survived for only another year. See Huntington, Frederic Dan.
Before the sixteenth-century Reformation in western Europe, the Christian church in a given country or region was customarily described as the church of the region, such as the Gallican Church, the Spanish Church, the English Church (Lat. ecclesia anglicana), or the Church of England. After the... Read More »
Ritualistic parish. This parish was founded in 1868 by the Rev. Thomas McKee Brown to be a free church in the full tradition of catholic faith and worship. The original building, erected on West 45th Street on property given by John Jacob Astor, was dedicated on Dec. 8, 1870. The growth of the... Read More »
It was founded by lay people in 1844 and has long been one of the leading Anglo-catholic parishes in the American Church. Its strong adherence to the principles of the Oxford Movement and the ritualist movement often has put it at odds with other Episcopalians. Innovative practices concerning... Read More »
This parish was founded in 1886, and its first service was held on Nov. 28, 1886. Its building is modeled on the Cathedral of Amiens in France. It was constructed between 1890 and 1897. The cornerstone was laid on May 30, 1892, and the church was consecrated on Oct. 11, 1897. Although the church... Read More »
Organized in 1890 by William Dwight Porter Bliss as an experiment in Christian Socialism, the notice announcing its formation declared that "the Church of Christ, in her true spirit, is a Christian Socialist Church." It attracted many Christian Socialists, including Wellesley professor and staunch... Read More »
The parish was founded in 1844 by William Augustus Muhlenberg. The cornerstone was laid on July 25, 1844. The church was built with funds from Muhlenberg's sister, Mary Anna C. Rogers, the widow of John Rogers. The church building was designed by Richard Upjohn and consecrated on Dec. 13, 1846... Read More »
A pioneer Anglo-catholic parish of the Episcopal Church. It was organized in 1849. The founder and first rector was the Rev. George H. Houghton. Confessions were heard there, and it had altar candles and a processional cross, which were rare and controversial for the time. This parish claims to... Read More »
Ancient church documents containing a variety of materials for the instruction and ordering of the church, including liturgical descriptions, models, and directions. Significant Church Orders included the Didache (second century), the Apostolic Tradition of Hippolytus (215), the Didascalia... Read More »
See Episcopal Recorder, The.
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.