Isaiah 1:1, 10-20
Like the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, we are inherently a people of sin. Sinful in what we do and sinful in how we worship no matter how hard we try. We can ask ourselves, “Is our worship acceptable to God?” When we experience God’s grace we can’t continue to mistreat each other or ignore injustices. Religion itself does not put us in His good grace. Grace isn’t cheap nor is it easy, and it’s not something we get for just sitting in a pew. It’s time for us to look deep into our hearts and know the truth.
- How can you help the oppressed?
- In what ways can you be more obedient to God?
- What is your heart telling you?
Psalm 50:1-8, 23-24
This Psalm talks about the relationship we have with God as we struggle with the significance of our worship. We all struggle whether we realize it or not. We often just go through the motions of prayer and praise, sometimes just on Sundays. Read Psalm 50 as a way to give thanks to our Lord and find a way to move closer to God.
- In what ways can you deepen your worship?
- What is your relationship to God?
- Why are personal sacrifices of importance?
Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16
We can be assured of the faith we have for the abilities God gives us. Faith is real and it moves us forward even in the uncertain times of today. Our faith is not simply hoping for something, faith is real. Although it cannot be seen, faith is there. All we need is faith. Hold fast, obey God’s commands, and believe that God is always there for you.
- What are some examples of having faith in God?
- Can we improve our commitment to God?
- How has faith helped you in your life?
Faith frees us to give so don’t stock up on material possessions for yourself. We can forget ourselves through giving. We give money at church to make us more generous not poorer. God’s blessings are promised for those who are ready and judgment for those who aren’t. Being ready means living as we are taught and doing it daily without fear. Give and be generous. This will prepare us for God’s kingdom.
- Where your treasure is your heart will be, what is your treasure?
- Could you live without your possessions?
- How could you be more generous?