WESTERN NEW YORK: Diocese plans open house

August 21, 2007

The Episcopal Diocese of Western New York will welcome members, friends and nearby neighbors to a D-House Open House from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on September 16 at its administrative offices at 1114 Delaware Avenue in Buffalo, New York.


Bishop J. Michael Garrison and other members of the diocesan staff will greet visitors and discuss their various duties. Exhibits will display a chronological history of the diocese, and the diocesan archives will be open. In addition, the work of Episcopal artists from around the diocese will also be on display.


The three-story mansion which houses Western New York's diocesan offices was built in 1912 by Edward H. Butler, publisher of The Buffalo Evening News, as a wedding gift for his daughter Ada upon her marriage to Roscoe R. Mitchell. The home and its adjacent carriage house were donated to the diocese in 1950 by Butler's granddaughter, Marjorie Mitchell McKinley, who had inherited the property upon her mother's death. McKinley was a member of St. Paul's Cathedral in Buffalo.


As a complement to the D-House Open House, St. Paul's Cathedral will offer informal group tours that afternoon. Located at 128 Pearl Street, St. Paul's is just a short drive from the diocesan office.


The dual invitations from the diocesan office and the Cathedral will enable people to tour both the administrative and spiritual centers of the diocese on the same day.

Related Topics: