Clergy and laity of congregations learning the fundamentals of congregational growth will gather March 31-April 4 in Vancouver, British Columbia, for a Start Up! Start Over! seminar. The seminar is open to both members of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada. This will be the final western region seminar offered under the leadership of the Rev. Charles Fulton, who is retiring later this year.
Start Up! Start Over! is a national training event for clergy and laity that provides basic congregational development theory and skills for congregations in decline and seeking a new direction, have hit a growth plateau and need new energy, or are thriving and ready for their next step.
Fulton, director of Congregational Development and president of the Episcopal Church Building Fund will lead a seminar staff of experienced practitioners of church growth who have started new churches and led congregational turn-arounds.
Participants will learn practical, goal-oriented skills to help them rediscover the optimistic, mission-oriented spirit that marks healthy thriving congregations.
Agenda topics include:
- The basic principles of congregational development for each size of congregation
- The congregational life cycle of development, regeneration, or decline
- Marketing and conducting a campaign to invite new members
- New member incorporation - how visitors become involved members of a congregation \
- Leading in changing times
- Using technology, the arts, and other multi-media/multi-sensory elements from today's culture in worship
- Strengthening the small-membership church
- Pitching tent in the language of the oral, literate, and electronic cultures
- The power of the immersion experience and juxtaposition to support transformational and prophetic worship.
- Making your site and buildings inviting to guests and newcomers.
The cost, which includes tuition, five nights lodging, and 10 meals is: $775 single, $650 (each) double, $395 commuter. For more information, contact Sally O'Brien at 800-334-7626 ext. 6003 or email email@example.com. Registration materials can be downloaded here. The registration deadline is March 12.
Start Up! Start Over! is sponsored by the Office of Congregational Development and coordinated in partnership with the Episcopal Church Building Fund.
The next seminar is set for May 19-23 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.