September 1st âCall-in Day for International Debt Relief
When the leaders of the nationâs richest countries met earlier this year in Sea Island Georgia, they considered a proposal to provide 100% cancellation of multilateral debt for impoverished nations. Though they failed to take action at the June summit, the leaders directed their finance ministers (aka âthe G-7â, a group which includes the US Treasury Secretary) to consider additional measures in the coming months. Their next meeting will take place on October 1, 2004, just before the Annual Meetings of the IMF and World Bank in Washington, DC.
This Wednesday, September 1, call the White House (202-456-1414) and the US Treasury Departmentâs Office of the Undersecretary for International Affairs (202-622-0656). Urge President Bush and the Treasury Department to support 100% cancellation of debts owed by impoverished nations to the World Bank, IMF, and other multilateral financial. Encourage the Administration to use US leverage to build consensus for 100% debt cancellation, and to announce support for 100% cancellation at the G-7 Finance Ministers meeting on October 1.
Honoring Labor Day with ACTION!
America celebrates Labor Day this year on September 6, 2004. In honor of Labor Day 2004, we urge you to honor this national holiday with ACTION that will help workers! Congress returns September 8 for what may be the final session of the 108th Congress. While most of their attention may focus on budget and appropriations issues, there is important legislation pending to help workers and it will not pass without constituent pressure.
We hope you will contact your Senators today at 1-800-270-0309 and urge them to:
- Bring the AgJobs bill to a vote
- Increase the minimum wage to $7/hour
- Support reauthorization of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and increased Child Care funding.
For more information on these issues click here: http://advocacy.episcopalchurch.org/
The National Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice has a special Labor Day Litany for use in your parish or community - http://www.iwj.org/
Events Around the Nation
There are lots of great advocacy events going on throughout the country this fall including . . .
- Dates thru October 17, 2004: Let Justice Roll Bus Tour -- WA, OR, NY, MN, MA, WI, NM, NC, IL, PA
- October 6-17, 2004: Rolling to Overcome Poverty Bus Tour -- MN, WI, IL, MI, OH, PA
- October 22, 2004: H2Oly Water: Source of Life Conference -- Toledo, OH
- March 11-14, 2005: Save the date -- Ecumenical Advocacy Days â Washington, DC
For details about these events and others in your area, look on the EPPN website: www.episcopalchurch.org/eppn in the "Upcoming Advocacy Events" section
Ongoing Action Opportunities
In addition to this Wednesdayâs âcall-inâ regarding debt forgiveness, there are several ongoing actions that you can take:
- Tell your member it is time to renew the assault weapons ban
- Urge your member to say NO to new nuclear weapons
- Let your member know that it is important to reauthorize TANF legislation
- Sign the Mother's Promise Petition in support of the Cairo Consensus