The Episcopal Church and La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico share a history of support and walking together in mission since the first covenant with the church in Mexico written in 1875. The 1994 General Convention approved that the five dioceses of Mexico, Cuernavaca, Northern Mexico, Western Mexico and Southeastern Mexico constitute itself into an autonomous province of the Anglican Communion. A Covenant agreement, effective since 1995, outlines the basis of the current partnership in mission and the support toward economic self-sufficiency between both Churches. This Covenant agreement is ending in 2019 and a new Bilateral agreement is in the process of being developed.
The dioceses in Mexico are very interested in partnership relations with Episcopal Church dioceses and congregations for mutual prayer and encouragement, to share perspectives in mission and ministry, and to break away from the sense of isolation they sometimes feel. Episcopal Relief and Development is a partner in mission with some dioceses in Mexico and has responded effectively in light of recent natural disasters. The Church Pension Group manages and coordinates with the Church in Mexico the Pension Plan for its clergy. The long-standing reality of migration across the borders of Mexico and the USA, with its new pressures and demands, have brought Churches on both sides of the border to become partners as they respond to the human crises. There is hope that the relationship between both The Episcopal Church and La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico will develop in new ways into the future.